Routine roof inspections are important for the health of your roof and home. You’ll spot damage early on, allowing you to fix it before it becomes a major issue. When strong winds reach your home, this is your cue to inspect your roof as it can become damaged when wind speeds reach 50 mph. What do you look for? Here are several ways wind can damage your roof, keep in mind that the ridgelines, edges and corners are the most susceptible areas of your roof.
- Loose or missing shingles – While a missing shingle is easy to notice from the ground, not all damage is seen from below. Some shingles may appear intact, but they’ve become loosened and lift when winds come through. You’ll want to repair loose or missing shingles quickly as your roof is now exposed to rain, which can cause leaks into your home.
- Curling shingles – This typically occurs at the stress points – edges, corners, the ridge and near the chimney. They need to be replaced in order to keep water from leaking into your home.
- Punctured roofs – Strong winds can cause debris to fly onto your roof and cause damage. It can also take down tree branches that hang over your roof. If you know that a storm is coming, it’s best to prepare. Bring in outdoor furniture, lawn decorations, garbage, and remove any branches that have grown close to your roof.
- Leaks – Check your attic and ceilings for signs of leaks. If there is water, you’ll want to have a roofing contractor come out immediately to find the cause and begin repairs.
- Granules – If you find shingle granules in your gutter or around the exterior of your home, you may need shingles replaced. Inspect your shingles to see the damage.
- Chimney Flashing – This is another area that becomes stressed form high winds. Check to make sure the chimney flashing isn’t missing or split.
If you believe that your roof has been damaged by flying debris or strong winds, it’s important to give us a call immediately. Don’t let water damage your roof or home by waiting. And, you’ll be happy to hear that wind damage should be covered by your homeowner’s insurance. Let us file your claim and repair your roof, we’ve had extensive experience with claims. Give us a call at 248-393-0055 for assistance, and remember we offer 24–hour emergency service!